The department of Mechanical engineering was established in 1998 with a mission to impart experiential and cooperative learning in this field of Engineering. Through the years it has become a preferred destination for technical learning in the state of Odisha.
The department has developed collaborative networks among Educational Institutions, R & D Institutions, Industries, NGOs and individuals hastening the process of creation, dissemination, certification and incubation of knowledge.
The faculty members having rich experience of various industries and educational institutions impart teaching through multimedia and web based software. The department has eleven well equipped laboratories and design skills of the students are enhanced through hands on training in CAD software like AutoCAD, CATIA, etc. The production engineering laboratory has been transformed into a research oriented laboratory to facilitate various industrial projects. It has given a proposal to AICTE, New Delhi for post graduate programme in Production Engineering. AICTE has also given a grant-in-aid of Rupees eight lakh to start Entrepreneurship Development Cell. Some faculty members from this department have been empanelled as experts for Design Clinic Programme of Government of India.
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Shri Chinmay Das has more than twenty three years experience in the field of entrepreneurship and engineering education. He has completed his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering and production engineering from University College of Engineering, Burla in 1994 and 2005 respectively. Shri Das has completed two grant-in-projects from AICTE, New Delhi and has conducted several seminars including one FDP in ABIT.
He is a member of prestigious professional societies like American Society of Mechanical Engineers (USA), The Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK), The Institution of Engineers (India), Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering, Indian Institution of Production Engineers, Indian Value Engineering Society, Solar Energy Society of India, Indian Society for Technical Education, Society of Collaborative Networks, etc. In addition to departmental administration, he looks after the coordination of entrepreneurship development cell.
ABIT’s Mechanical Engineering department has the following state of the art labs:
- Central Workshop
- Material Testing Laboratory
- Applied Mechanics Laboratory
- Machine Dynamics Laboratory
- Production Engineering Laboratory
- Internal Combustion engines and Heat Power Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machine Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Refrigeration & Air conditioning Laboratory
- Automobile Laboratory
- CAD / CAM Laboratory
- Mechanical Measurements Laboratory
Refrigeration & Air conditioning Laboratory:
Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machine Laboratory:
Heat Transfer Laboratory:
- Mech. Dept. organized an Awareness program on Quality Engineering by Sj. Siba Mishra (Quality manager, Jacob Engg. Chennai) on 10th Jan 2018.
- National Conference on “Recent Advances in Production Engineering and Engineering Design” organised by Department of Mechanical Engineering on 27th and 28th December 2018.
- Knowledge and Innovation Centre (KIC) is established with seed capital from ABIT Trust and Sri.Chinmay Das, Faculty and Head of the Department, is the coordinator of KIC.
- Two research projects namely prototype of an improved hand spinning machine (Charakha) and building materials from garnet sand wastes are under developmental stage.
- The Department has conducted a Training Programme on Industrial Safety for Indian Rare Earth Limited, Chatrapur.
- The Department in association with Extencore Solutions, Pune is involved in advanced industry oriented skill development programmes on use of software packages like AutoCAD,CATIA, ANSYS, etc.
Recent Value Added Activities by the Department
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme (EDP) has been conducted for the students of mechanical engineering students during the month of October to inculcate the culture of entrepreneurship among budding engineers.
- One day industrial visit is undertaken to M/S Shiballoy Multiplex, Bhubaneswar to provide real life experience on industrial activities to final year students.
Our Shining Stars this year
- Two faculty members Sri Debabrata Barik and Sri Pravat Ranjan Barik have completed their post graduate programme in thermal engineering and also joined PhD programme at NIT,Rourkela.
- Sri Swapnendu Kumar Pradhani, has cleared GRE and has gone for MS programme in USA.
The following companies have visited for campus placement of mechanical engineering students.
Following are the companies, in which our students participated in on-campus drives
- ACC Concrete
- Emami Paper
- RoyalInfra Constru
- Pacific Pipes
- Shriram Value Finance
- AFL Logistics
- IBM (tech support)
In addition, our students also appeared in the following off campus drives
- Omega Elevators
- Shyam Steel
Mechanical Students visited RSB Group, Mania on 17th Oct 2017 for Industrial visit.
Students submitted Conceptual Model on Waste Sorting Mechanism, Robot based system for cleaning between the tracks, Forest Warning Base System using IOT at Smart India Hackathon2018.